Re: Proposal - Free the Debian Open Use logo

On Tue, Oct 07, 2003 at 03:00:36AM -0700, Don Armstrong wrote:
> If we want to exclude more things from the DFSG, we need to write up a
> proposal to modify the social contract appropriately and extend
> another set of guidelines to apply to it. To this point, no one has
> taken up the gauntlet and done it (or even started to my knowledge.)
[...]

It has been started - e.g. Brian T Sniffen's suggested list of
necessary documentation freedoms, as incorporated into the GFDL
position statement that the Project Secretary has been assembling:

http://people.debian.org/%7Esrivasta/Position_Statement.xhtml

I find it hard to identify any guideline (from the DFSG) or freedom
(from the FSF's list of four) that can be lightly declared un-necessary
in the case of documentation. In fact, as Brian has done, it is
tempting to specifically clarify some items that might otherwise
require a broad reading of the existing statements. (Brian clarifies
the need for one to be permitted to reformat or translate a document,
or keep it confidential)

Nick.

--
   Nick Bannon   | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick-sig@rcpt.to | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal