Best Packaging Practices - collecting ideas (and texts!)

[ reply-to set to debian-project ]

Hello,

as you may have seen, we're (well mostly me and Adam, but any help is
greatly appreciated) in the process of updating the Debian
Developer's Reference ... I have fixed in cvs most of the bugs (they are
marked pending), so it's time to work on the chapter recently
introduced that is called "Best Packaging Practices".

I need your input to find all the subjects that should be treated in that
chapter. To give you a feeling of what it should be, here are examples
of things that will be integrated :

* Handling debconf translations (Denis Barbier will write it)
* Managing multiple patches
* Writing useful descriptions (already done)
* Providing customized configuration files

If you suggest an idea, please provide enough information so that
someone else can write the associated text. For example, for the
"Managing multiple patches" we certainly should mention "dbs" and
some example source packages that use it (or another similar system).

If you're able to write some paragraphs yourself, that would be even
better, but let's discuss the ideas first.

Thanks,