Re: [nm-admin] Identification step in the current scheme (Re: Fear the new maintainer process)

On Tue, Aug 01, 2000 at 01:07:24PM -0400, Gopal Narayanan wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 01, 2000 at 11:09:46AM -0500, Steve Greenland wrote:
> > On 01-Aug-00, 09:32 (CDT), Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> wrote:
> > > I find the technical argument (the applicant does not
> > > have access to scanners, etc...) to be as weak, because it declares a
> > > lack of "connectedness" with the "technological" society they wish to
> > > enter.
> >
> > Now, I'm a long time technical person in Houston, Texas, USA. It would
> > not surprise me at all to find that a non-trivial minority of desirable
> > Debian applicants find it much harder to get reasonable/useful access
> > to a scanner.
>
> I find this thread a little silly.

Then why contribute?

> Membership is a privilege, and if you have to take a couple of
> bureaucratic steps, so be it. You don't haggle with your passport
> office about providing your passport photos, do you? If you need to

Actually I do -- but that is an entirely different story.

If you understand how passports work you have one person (in some
countries of a particular occupation, e.g doctor, lawyer, etc.)
who can authenticate to the government that you are who you say
you are.

In the Debian country you could liken that person to existing maintainers.

Dale's process says that existing maintainers are not able to authenticate
aspiring maintainers who they have confirmed the identity of. Essentially
we cease to trust existing developers.

> travel abroad, you do the needful to *apply* for a passport. After a
> loong discussion, I believe the current procedures have been adopted
> for applications for new members, and IMO they are equitable and
> reasonable.

I'm not if you have read the archives -- I have. I posted a long
summary on the nm-admin (or nm-discuss) mailling list. It'll
certainly be in the archive if you care to look (Since it was in March
it'll take me more effort than I have at 0330 to find).

> If you absolutely can't get hold of a scanner, take a (analog) photo
> of your ID, have it developed in any number of online places or your
> next-door photo shop, that would give you a CDROM with all your
> photos.. Sheesh.

A good idea. But you have missed the fundamental socitial (community)
problem by focusing on the technological one. Technological problems can
be easily solved (in comparision to socitial ones).

Anand