Re: [nm-admin] Identification step in the current scheme (Re: Fear the new maintainer process)

On Mon, 31 Jul 2000, Mark Brown wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 31, 2000 at 03:06:36PM +0000, Dale Scheetz wrote:
>
> > Having the assurance that the keyholder is the applicant (this comes from
> > the signature on their key) coupled with the signed image provided by the
> > applicant closes the eye/hand loop. Neither is sufficient without the
> > other.
>
> But it just has to be a picture, not photo ID, and it doesn't need to be
> verified by anyone other than the applicant?

Yes, with some reservations. Specificly this is true if and only if the
applicants key is signed by a Debian member. Without this "handshake"
there is no connection between the picture and the key. When the keyholder
has been "identified" by a key signing event, we choose to trust what that
key holder sends under his signature. Sending a photograph presents the
face of the applicant to the group.

In addition please note that a photo ID or passport is a _stronger_
presentation of face, and is more desirable because it provides official
connection between the photo and the named keyholder.

For me, it would be harder to provide a recent photo, that it would be to
provide a copy of my passport, so I appologize if I'm a bit incredulous
about the difficulties of providing "adequate" identification. I find the
technical argument (the applicant does not have access to scanners,
etc...) to be as weak, because it declares a lack of "connectedness" with
the "technological" society they wish to enter. This may sound harsh, but
then again, Debian isn't a life-raft where every living, breathing,
individual who comes along is a viable candidate for inclusion. We need
some automatic filters in place to manage the desires of these would-be
Debianites.

Luck,

Dwarf