Re: [nm-admin] Identification step in the current scheme (Re: Fear the new maintainer process)

On Tue, Aug 01, 2000 at 11:09:46AM -0500, Steve Greenland wrote:
> On 01-Aug-00, 09:32 (CDT), Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> wrote:
> > I find the technical argument (the applicant does not
> > have access to scanners, etc...) to be as weak, because it declares a
> > lack of "connectedness" with the "technological" society they wish to
> > enter.
>
> Now, I'm a long time technical person in Houston, Texas, USA. It would
> not surprise me at all to find that a non-trivial minority of desirable
> Debian applicants find it much harder to get reasonable/useful access
> to a scanner.

I find this thread a little silly.

Membership is a privilege, and if you have to take a couple of
bureaucratic steps, so be it. You don't haggle with your passport
office about providing your passport photos, do you? If you need to
travel abroad, you do the needful to *apply* for a passport. After a
loong discussion, I believe the current procedures have been adopted
for applications for new members, and IMO they are equitable and
reasonable.

If you absolutely can't get hold of a scanner, take a (analog) photo
of your ID, have it developed in any number of online places or your
next-door photo shop, that would give you a CDROM with all your
photos.. Sheesh.

Gopal.

--
Gopal Narayanan <gopal@debian.org> <gopal@astro.umass.edu>