Re: [nm-admin] Identification step in the current scheme (Re: Fear the new maintainer process)

On 01-Aug-00, 09:32 (CDT), Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> wrote:
> I find the technical argument (the applicant does not
> have access to scanners, etc...) to be as weak, because it declares a
> lack of "connectedness" with the "technological" society they wish to
> enter.

While I'm not arguing against the current process, you may not want to
assume that scanner access is easy. I don't have one, not because of
money, but simply because I have no use for one. None of my friends with
whom it would be easy to access their computer have one either. I *can*
go down to the copy store and use one, but getting the scan home would
be non-trivial -- last time I checked, the software they used would
only generate tiff, and I don't have a large capacity removable drive
(zip/ls-120/whatever) at home either. I could work around all of the
above, but some effort (justified, IMO) would be involved.

Now, I'm a long time technical person in Houston, Texas, USA. It would
not surprise me at all to find that a non-trivial minority of desirable
Debian applicants find it much harder to get reasonable/useful access
to a scanner.

Steve