Re: Stop Debian/FreeBSD

On Sun, Nov 21, 1999 at 02:01:46PM -0500, Clint Adams wrote:

> Why would emulation under a different kernel be any more acceptable
> than emulation of a different processor?

Because the first is not emulation in the usual case. Because you don't
emulate a processor. Because you don't provide a virtual machine.

A linux binary will simply be executed on the Hurd system just as a native
binary, because it is in ELF format and links to shared c libraries.

In fact, recompiling the same binary natively (with the same tools) should
result to an identical object file (probably some minor differences).

I don't know if it is similar under BSD.

I think the issue is not if we don't want to have any package recompilation.
The issue is if we can take advantage of binary compatibility where it
doesn't make a difference.

Thanks,
Marcus