Re: Stop Debian/FreeBSD

John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org> writes:

> This happpened to BSD.  It continues to happen with it.  Commercial
> interests steal the code (which they are permitted to do), make it
> proprietary, and never help out the original authors with code or give
> out their code.  It is an open invitation for people to abuse the
> system.  Even Microsoft has done so.
>
> WE MUST NOT ALLOW people to do that to Debian.

Debian does not determine the licenses of software in the
distribution, so I am not sure how it has any control over this
matter at all.  Save a few, narrowly scoped programs like dpkg, which
are already under the GPL, Debian does not make software, it packages
and distributes it.

> Please, people, if you have not thought through the ramifications of
> what you are trying to do, take a step back and look at the big
> picture first.  Why not try to help the free software community
> instead of hurt it?

I don't see how Debian/FreeBSD would do anything to jeopardize
existing Debian ports.  It may suck up the time of some developers,
but since all developers are volunteers, that is their own
perogative.  It will not force any Debian software to go with a BSD
license, or require that software packaged for it follows the BSD
license.

--
Craig Brozefsky                         <craig@red-bean.com>
Free Scheme/Lisp Software     http://www.red-bean.com/~craig