Re: Submitting fixes to ptouch-driver

On 16/04/15 19:03, Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote:
> Hi Philip,
>
> Le jeudi, 9 avril 2015, 21.07:13 Philip Pemberton a écrit :
>> I've been working on a number of fixes to ptouch-driver, which are
>> currently hosted in a Mercurial repository on Bitbucket:
>>
>>   https://bitbucket.org/philpem/printer-driver-ptouch/commits
>
> Great, thanks for that!

You're welcome :)

>> I suspect I need to submit patches; is there a preferred format for
>> these?
>
> Debian and Ubuntu are not the upstream maintainers of ptouch-driver, and
> although we're maintaining a small pile of patches (two, as of Debian
> Jessie), we should put ourselves in the de-facto position of being the
> new upstream maintainers: the suite in debian/patches is not a
> substitute to proper upstream releases.
>
> That said, there are two(-and-a-half) ways forward:
> - either the actual upstream maintainers accept these patches and
>   release new versions, which we can then deploy through our
>   distributions;
> - if that doesn't happen, then there are two possible alternatives:
>   - the upstream author is missing-in-action or unresponsive: in that
>     case, you (or anyone else interested) could probably take over name,
>     repositories, versions, etc.
>   - the upstream author refuses to integrate your patches (for whatever
>     reason), in which case you can also resort to forking, in which case
>     you should pick a new name.
>   In both cases, you'd then push your code (without the debian/
>   directory) to a public repository and start releasing new versions;
>   which we can then deploy through our distributions.

I found a working email address for the original maintainer, and
contacted him regarding that. Here's my message and his response:

>> Hello,
>>
>> Are you still maintaining the P-touch printer driver located at
>> http://www.diku.dk/hjemmesider/ansatte/panic/P-touch/ ?
>>
>> I ask because I've fixed a number of bugs (my patches are on
>> https://bitbucket.org/philpem/printer-driver-ptouch/commits ) in the
>> Ubuntu and Debian packaged versions, and would like to try and get my
>> fixes merged into a future release of the driver.
>
> No, unfortunately I don’t have the time. It would be nice to see it maintained, though, so anyone interested in doing so is very welcome. Your patches would probably be a good start.
>

> Best Regards
>
> Arne
> ______________________
> Arne.Glenstrup@gmail.com

So it appears "fork and fix" is the way to go with this.

Suggestions for an alternate name would be gratefully received, though
at this point I can't think of anything else which needs fixing to make
the driver usable. The only improvements I can think of involve adding
support for more printers... and I'd need those printers to test with.
Not really a priority when some of them cost upwards of £200 each.

Though I do need to poke the gLabels developers to try and get the
Brother label templates fixed...

Perhaps people will find more bugs in it? Hmm... :)

>> I also noticed there was a Git repository on Alioth for this package;
>> would some form of Git export be preferred to patches?
>
> See above: ensuring proper upstream releases that include your patches
> is way preferable to a quilt suite in debian/patches.
>
> Looking forward to new upstream releases!

Thanks,

--
Phil.
lists@philpem.me.uk