Re: Submitting fixes to ptouch-driver

Hi Philip,

Le jeudi, 9 avril 2015, 21.07:13 Philip Pemberton a écrit :
> I've been working on a number of fixes to ptouch-driver, which are
> currently hosted in a Mercurial repository on Bitbucket:
>
>   https://bitbucket.org/philpem/printer-driver-ptouch/commits

Great, thanks for that!

> I suspect I need to submit patches; is there a preferred format for
> these?

Debian and Ubuntu are not the upstream maintainers of ptouch-driver, and
although we're maintaining a small pile of patches (two, as of Debian
Jessie), we should put ourselves in the de-facto position of being the
new upstream maintainers: the suite in debian/patches is not a
substitute to proper upstream releases.

That said, there are two(-and-a-half) ways forward:
- either the actual upstream maintainers accept these patches and
  release new versions, which we can then deploy through our
  distributions;
- if that doesn't happen, then there are two possible alternatives:
  - the upstream author is missing-in-action or unresponsive: in that
    case, you (or anyone else interested) could probably take over name,
    repositories, versions, etc.
  - the upstream author refuses to integrate your patches (for whatever
    reason), in which case you can also resort to forking, in which case
    you should pick a new name.
  In both cases, you'd then push your code (without the debian/
  directory) to a public repository and start releasing new versions;
  which we can then deploy through our distributions.

> I also noticed there was a Git repository on Alioth for this package;
> would some form of Git export be preferred to patches?

See above: ensuring proper upstream releases that include your patches
is way preferable to a quilt suite in debian/patches.

Looking forward to new upstream releases!

Cheers,

OdyX