Re: Debian Sid PPC64 / IBM pSeries 550 --- Bootloaders don't work after succesful install

On 11/13/20 1:20 PM, Deinsti Suski wrote:
> So the important factors we came to conclude was that;
> the pSeries (550 but maybe other models too) cannot boot from GRUB,
> potentially a firmware issue but not confirmed as the system log reports no
> errors/warnings
> Yaboot has to be installed by the Debian installer itself, manual
> installation of Yaboot (chroot/rescue mode) will result in a broken Yaboot
> which is unable to load it's own configuration file (Results in issue
> stated when we first asked for help - Unsure if it's yabootconfig or yaboot
> itself because in both cases the system still can't detect the .conf and
> neither process throws any anomalies in the logs during
> yabootconfig/installing to PreP)

I honestly have a hard time believing that GRUB wouldn't work on the pSeries
550 when Yaboot works. I have a pSeries 750 at home and will at some point
try to install Debian on it, too.

I would suggest updating the firmware in your case. If that still doesn't help,
it should be reported as a bug against GRUB upstream.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz