Re: Debian Sid PPC64 / IBM pSeries 550 --- Bootloaders don't work after succesful install

Quite a late email cause I forgot to give a status update on the server

After intensive testing, we managed to get SID to install on the pSeries 550 - What we had to do was obtain the last Debian SID ppc64 netinst which still included Yaboot as a bootloader "during install" - this ended up being the May 20th 2019 ISO and we ended up still using a USB to avoid wasting too many CD's, we then had to load into expert mode and choose to install Yaboot as a bootloader instead of GRUB (we decided to use an all in / ext3 partition for best compatibility) - once installation was completed, everything worked as expected

So the important factors we came to conclude was that;
the pSeries (550 but maybe other models too) cannot boot from GRUB, potentially a firmware issue but not confirmed as the system log reports no errors/warnings
Yaboot has to be installed by the Debian installer itself, manual installation of Yaboot (chroot/rescue mode) will result in a broken Yaboot which is unable to load it's own configuration file (Results in issue stated when we first asked for help - Unsure if it's yabootconfig or yaboot itself because in both cases the system still can't detect the .conf and neither process throws any anomalies in the logs during yabootconfig/installing to PreP)

We would like to thank everyone for their help and suggestions and I hope that our discoveries help in anyway
If you'd like to know more then don't hesitate to ask

Deinsti and Daniel

On Wed, 4 Nov 2020 at 14:59, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
On Wed, Nov 04, 2020 at 02:48:03PM +0000, Deinsti Suski wrote:
> Hello Len
>
> 1; Yes, we are using the MBR Partition table
> 2; the PreP partition is 8MB and has the Boot flag set to on
> 3; Debian is running on bare-metal, no hypervisor involved
> 3; Correct, the installer boots with no issues at all and it's only after
> the reboot when try to boot the installation from the HDD that both
> bootloaders just stall/fail
> 4; We are using a 1GB USB Memory stick as the installation media
> 5; we are using the Debian 10 SID NETINST for PPC64 dated 2020-05-30, the
> reason we're not using the latest snapshot is because the latest one
> (2020-10-13) fails with 'missing-firmware /dev/.udev missing firmware' and
> the installation media fails to mount
>
> If you need any more information don't hesitate to ask

Well you are doing everything I remember doing (although at the time I
was using powerpc not ppc64 but I doubt that matters), and I used a CD,
not USB to boot.  No idea if that makes any difference.  Hopefully it
isn't confused by which disk is sda vs sdb due to the usb stick.

I had successful installs in the past (but probably 5 or 6 years ago now)
on p520 (power6) and p710 (power7) hardware both booting from CD.

--
Len Sorensen