Debian Sid PPC64 / IBM pSeries 550 --- Bootloaders don't work after succesful install

Recently me and a friend of mine have been trying to install Debian Sid on an IBM pSeries 550 server to no avail; we have attempted a variety of methods such as installing GRUB with everything on an / ext4 partition, GRUB with a separate ext2 /boot and ext4 /, Yaboot with everything on an ext4 / and Yaboot with a ext2 /boot and ext4 / - however none of them work;

For GRUB, it just freezes at 'Welcome to GRUB!' with no disk activity and it never continues no matter the partition setup while for Yaboot, it always fails at
"can't get <device_type> for device: <NULL>
<NULL>:-1,ls: Unable to open file, Invalid device"

we tried altering yaboot.conf by swapping out uuid's with /dev/sda2 among other things but no matter what it's always the same error

The hardware is an IBM pSeries 550 Server
Processors: 4x IBM POWER6 cards with 2-Cores at 4GHz each (Total: 8 Cores)
RAM: 92GB
HDD: Single 300GB drive (No RAID)

Do you have any suggestions on how to get this system to boot?