Re: Debian Sid PPC64 / IBM pSeries 550 --- Bootloaders don't work after succesful install

We were honestly surprised ourselves, but no matter what we did - the furthest we got was 'Welcome to GRUB!' and never any further - I'll have a closer look into the firmware aspect of it - maybe there is an issue that is preventing GRUB from working correctly tho like you already mentioned, Yaboot does work (if installed via the Debian installer) so what exactly is the issue is hard to tell right now.
If we find anything useful I'll report back

Dein

On Fri, 13 Nov 2020 at 12:34, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz <glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
On 11/13/20 1:20 PM, Deinsti Suski wrote:
> So the important factors we came to conclude was that;
> the pSeries (550 but maybe other models too) cannot boot from GRUB,
> potentially a firmware issue but not confirmed as the system log reports no
> errors/warnings
> Yaboot has to be installed by the Debian installer itself, manual
> installation of Yaboot (chroot/rescue mode) will result in a broken Yaboot
> which is unable to load it's own configuration file (Results in issue
> stated when we first asked for help - Unsure if it's yabootconfig or yaboot
> itself because in both cases the system still can't detect the .conf and
> neither process throws any anomalies in the logs during
> yabootconfig/installing to PreP)

I honestly have a hard time believing that GRUB wouldn't work on the pSeries
550 when Yaboot works. I have a pSeries 750 at home and will at some point
try to install Debian on it, too.

I would suggest updating the firmware in your case. If that still doesn't help,
it should be reported as a bug against GRUB upstream.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
: :' :  Debian Developer - glaubitz@debian.org