Re: PB G4 Installation

Hi,

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
Sorry, I wasn't meaning to minimize the effort of maintaining a parallel
set of non-systemd packages.  And if there are only three users who are
requesting such a thing, you are absolutely right, it isn't worth the
effort.
As I said, there is the debian-init-diversity project run by Ian Jackson.
I don't know about the current status, but they are most likely looking
for contributors.

isn't that at the end what Devuan is all about? there are more than "3 people" asking for no-systemd.

I would have preferred to have all this inside Debian, of course. "Init Freedom".

I "Devuanized" two older computers and on a very low-end machine (128MB of RAM 233Mhz ...) the difference is immense. Debian was totally unusable clogging up all resources... and I attribute part to this to systemd.

sysV-init or OpenRC is a personal choice, I tried both.

It would be happy very to try that, if it did such wonders on x86!

Reading in debian-init-diversity it seems possible, would be worth trying on MacPPC - since most of our Macs are older and limited in Memory and CPU.

So... I hoped new directions for debian, to reconsider, but "the mass" just likes RedHat following, for convenience I guess. I use debian "since ever" I use Linux and...it is home of so much nice, especially in the past. It used to run on a lot of systems, almost like NetBSD!

But things like forcing systemd, removing videocards, killing "official PPC" show that the general sentiment of the project changed over the years.

Riccardo