Re: PB G4 Installation

On 5/21/20 2:49 AM, userm57@yahoo.com wrote:

>>> Someone on this mailing list explained how to fix that. I think that was
>>> last month or so. Or maybe the mailing list member in question will read
>>> your mail.
>>
>> Btw, contributors to fix this issue are welcome.
>
> Thanks.  Google found some articles related to this; I will take a look
> at those and see if there is anything helpful.  Meanwhile, yaboot works
> on the PB G4 in Debian SID to boot Mac OS Tiger, Mac OS Leopard, Debian
> 7.8, Debian SID and Gentoo.  The Debian 7.8 version did not work, likely
> because that version's ofpath was somewhat buggy.

Yaboot is unmaintained and doesn't support modern ext4 filesystems. It isn't
really an option therefore.

>>> This isn't really something I can change, sorry. You can just install sysvinit
>>> and it will work. Whether certain desktops work without systemd is basically
>>> a decision that has been made upstream.
>>
>> And I would like to add here: Not a single Debian Developer is opposed to
>> such changes, it's just that the majority doesn't care which is why the
>> people who want such flexibility will have to help with that work.
>>
>> I think there is still the debian-init-diversity team [1] which certainly
>> is always looking for new contributors.
>>
>> Adrian

> ok, thanks.  I'll see whether I'm able to contribute anything to that
> team.  Strictly speaking, though, I'm just asking for non-systemd
> versions of packages when possible, such as synaptic.  I think there's
> also a non-systemd version of Gnome.  I can always download these myself
> from their respective authors and compile without systemd options, or
> use versions from Gentoo.

The problem is that it isn't a "just non-systemd versions". What you are
asking for requires tremendous efforts from a distribution point of view.

It's hard to justify such efforts when in the end there are just three
users for such a configuration.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz