Re: Installing Debian on a PowerMac G5

On 4/13/20 4:07 AM, Dennis Clarke wrote:
>> So, I just used a more old image, like this one: https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/2019-04-11/
>> After install, I just added the experimental repository and did a apt update && apt upgrade!
>
> So that "just works"(tm)  ??

The older images work because they use Yaboot. Newer images use GRUB
which doesn't install properly yet on PowerMacs unless you do it
manually.

This is because Apple OpenFirmware implementation uses non-standard
OF paths and the ofpathname utility needs to be expanded to understand
the many exceptions and quiks of OpenFirmware like the ofpath tool
found in Yaboot [1]. Fixing this is on my TODO list. It's not a hard
task just lots of shell code writing and testing. If any volunteers
would like to help, please step forward, I started that effort here [2].

FWIW, if you use the older images, you should skip the part where
the installer wants to install additional software over the internet
because that won't work due to the expired GPG key on the image.

As for adding "exprimental" to the sources.list, this isn't necessary
and also not recommended unless you want to test certain new packages.

Please note that experimental is not a complete distribution but only
works on top of unstable or testing.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz