Re: Installing Debian on a PowerMac G5

Hi Christian,
you can temporarily refer to the guide published here https://forum.powerprogress.org/d/15-debian-10-updated-installation-images-for-debian-ports-2019-11-22 to complete the installation.

Regards,
rt1k

Il 11/04/2020 07:10, Christian Calderon ha scritto:
I have a Late 2005 PowerMac G5 and I'm having some trouble installing Debian on it. I've installed debian on this machine before but this time I'm hitting some unexpected snags. I started by downloading the ppc64 iso from http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/current/ppc64/iso-cd/ . I burned it to a DVD and booted it on my G5. When I got to the page to select a mirror, the installer couldn't connect. The hostname I used was deb.debian.org and the directory was /debian-ports/ . I tried a few different mirrors but none of them worked. So I decided to try the ppc64 iso from the 2019-11-22 folder instead. That one boots and the installer connects to the mirror fine, using the same connection info. The problem is that the installer fails to install grub, and gives no option to install yaboot! I tried to launch a shell and install ybin but I couldn't figure it out. I noticed that bin was downloaded and installed onto the target, but the installer was trying to use grub.

Can anyone here help me get Debian installed?