Re: Debian on a PowerMac G5 installers broken for 2019-04-11 and 2019-11-24

On 4/13/20 8:42 AM, Dennis Clarke wrote:>
> Just spent the last five or six hours going in circles on this and both installers are
> broken. They seem unable to install grub and I did try the instructions at
> https://forum.powerprogress.org/d/15-debian-10-updated-installation-images-for-debian-ports-2019-11-22

I'm not affiliated with that forum or any of these posts.

> That does not work either.
>
> Anyone know of a Debian ppc64 installer that does work on the G5 ?

I'm pretty sure that you were one of the people that I explained to the
problem about the non-standard compliance of Apple's OpenFirmware
implementation and the need to patch ofpathname to work with that.

Technically, it's not the installer that is broken but Apple's OF
implementation but that doesn't matter. I get that people are frustrated
that installing on a PowerMac does not work with GRUB. Please note
that on IBM POWER systems, the installer will install GRUB just fine.

What frustrates me is that even though there are so many testing and using
these images, apparently no one is willing to help me. Especially since
porting the various quirks from Yaboot's ofpath [1] over to ofpathname
from the powerpc-utils package [2] isn't rocket science. Just a lot of
tedious stupid typing and testing work.

I have a huge pile of tasks for Debian Ports and my other projects and
I simply couldn't find the time and motivation yet to work on this.

Thanks,
Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz