Re: Debian Installer GRUB test image available

On 5/5/19 12:21 AM, John Ogness wrote:
>> If the GRUB rescue image does not show this problem, then we probably know
>> why.
>
> The behavior is exactly the same for both ISOs. When I do:
>
>     boot usb0/disk:,\\BootX
>
> It gives the error:
>
>     DISK-LABEL: invalid partition #
>
> And I see that it tried:
>
>     boot usb0/disk::,\System\Library\CoreServices\grub.elf
>
> Indeed, I can reproduce the error directly with:
>
>     boot usb0/disk::,\\grub.elf
>
> By removing the extra ":", I can boot grub (for the grub-rescue and the
> install ISO images):
>
>     boot usb0/disk:,\\grub.elf

So the bug most certainly originates upstream. The bootscript used for PowerMacs
is sourced from this template:

> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/grub.git/tree/grub-core/boot/powerpc/grub.chrp.in

So, either the template is wrong or the part of GRUB which processes the template.

If just removing the extra colon fixes the problem *and* also does not break the
boot using a CD-ROM (which currently works so it should be tested it still does
with the change), we should fix the bug upstream.

> You have an iBook G4 so I would expect the behavior would be the same
> for you as well. Although our iBooks are slightly different since mine
> required yaboot to be loaded at a higher address.

I'm not sure I have booted the iBook G4 with the unpatched Yaboot so I don't know
but it's not relevant now anyway.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz