Re: Debian Installer GRUB test image available

On 2019-05-04, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz <glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
>> Then I would be able to do the expected:
>>
>>     boot usb0/disk:,\\BootX
>>
>> This is all probably special case iBook G4 issues. But I wanted to
>> mention it since it is pretty obvious a lot of people are tripping over
>> it.
>
> Did you see this behavior with the GRUB rescue disc as well?

Yes.

> Because the installer image uses the exact same mechanism as the
> rescue image. However, I have not copied these files yet:
>
> -r--r--r--  1 glaubitz users  2623 Apr 30 23:44 .disk_label
> -r--r--r--  1 glaubitz users    19 Apr 30 23:44 .disk_label.contentDetails
> -r--r--r--  1 glaubitz users   245 Apr 30 23:44 SystemVersion.plist
>
> If the GRUB rescue image does not show this problem, then we probably know
> why.

The behavior is exactly the same for both ISOs. When I do:

    boot usb0/disk:,\\BootX

It gives the error:

    DISK-LABEL: invalid partition #

And I see that it tried:

    boot usb0/disk::,\System\Library\CoreServices\grub.elf

Indeed, I can reproduce the error directly with:

    boot usb0/disk::,\\grub.elf

By removing the extra ":", I can boot grub (for the grub-rescue and the
install ISO images):

    boot usb0/disk:,\\grub.elf

You have an iBook G4 so I would expect the behavior would be the same
for you as well. Although our iBooks are slightly different since mine
required yaboot to be loaded at a higher address.

John Ogness