Re: Performing installer tests on PowerMac with USB sticks

Thanks for all the information you are providing.

Despite my efforts I still am not able to boot my eMac G4 (Apple
PowerMac6,4) by USB.

After reading your email I was able to see that with a USB stick
inserted at boot a disk device indeed shows up in the device tree
(visible by using the command "dev / ls"), but I am still not able to
list its files by using the command "dir".

By the way, the USB stick contains a dd'ed debian ISO image and it is
possible to browse its files on a PowerMac G5 (PowerMac11,2).

I think I am using the correct OF path, derived by looking at the device
tree and by comparison with the working path on the G5.

I can confirm it has OpenFirmware 3 as shown by the following command on OF:

0 > dev /openprom
0 > .properties
name		openprom
device_type	BootROM
model		OpenFirmware 3
relative-addressing
supports-bootinfo
boot-syntax	00000001

This is not the first time I bang my head against OF and USB boot.
Eventually I ended up using NetBoot for a G3 and this G4 (which was not
easy anyway especially on the G3).

For what is worth, I think that a developer in need to test several CD
images without burning them should consider investing in a FireWire HD.
As far as I know booting from FireWire should be much easier, but I
never tried it.

Regards
A.