Re: Performing installer tests on PowerMac with USB sticks

Hi,

From what I know about Macintosh and it’s Open Firmware, FireWire is set as a default boot-option since OF 2. Therefor any G3 or G4 Macintosh will boot from firewire using the Command+Option boot-key. The Open Firmware will recognize the FireWire boot-sector by default. So, yes… trying different images works best on a FireWire drive.

However, PowerMac 6,4 should be abled to boot from USB. What I am thinking is going on with your system, is that the USB-stick does not have a valid AFS boot-sector for Apple; which is definitely needed to boot from USB. Christian Zigotsky has done extended research on this issue with his Fienix distribution. He also explains it very clearly in his YouTube video on booting his G5 from USB.

I hope this’ll help you along a bit further.

Regards,

Stephan