Re: installing NETINST 20190127 on Mac mini G4

On 1/29/19 9:00 AM, Michael Cree wrote:
>> Yaboot is unmaintained upstream and does not support modern ext4 features. In
>> order for Yaboot to work properly, you have to turn certain features in ext4
>> off, otherwise it won't work and the boot fails.
>
> Can you not have an ext3 boot partition and the rest of the OS on
> an ext4 partition?

Yes, you can. But I still don't want to keep Yaboot as it also requires
a horribly outdated version of e2fslibs-dev which doesn't even build
in a current unstable chroot [1].

I had to use a very crude hack to get Yaboot to build at all which speaks
for itself. The codebase is just horribly outdated and broken. It was
last updated upstream 8 years ago [2].

If Yaboot actually didn't have any issues with ext4, would actually build
against modern versions of e2fslibs-dev, supporters would have a point,
maybe. But under the current circumstances, I consider working on Yaboot
a waste of time.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz