Re: PowerMac G5 fans run out of control with kernel 4.17.0-3-powerpc64 but not with 4.16.0-1-powerpc64

On 10/12/18 4:39 PM, Dennis Clarke wrote:
>> Well, you can't really expect that someone will give you a full course ...
>
> Sure I can.

Not really, no. Free software doesn't mean someone isn't working for free.

>>> fakeroot ?
>>>
>>> That alone is something from the distant past that bothers me.
>>>
>>> Nope ... not interested.
>>
>> What's wrong with looking things up that are not familiar to you?
>
> I was using fakeroot back in 2001 or maybe it was 2000. Can't recall. It isn't unfamiliar. I just don't see the need to get my own kernel in
> place.  Debian needs it ... I don't.

I did not say that you are supposed to use it. I linked one of the many online
tutorials available which explain a way to build your own kernel. There are
many tutorials out there. If you prefer a different way, I would be the last
one to tell you otherwise.

>> It's not that people are not willing to help. It's simply that time and resources
>> are limited and in Debian Ports, we don't have the manpower to provide a polished
>> product where we have each and every corner-case covered.
>
> Right. You are busy elsewhere and so leave the long verbose crud to
> schmucks like me.  I have done it before over and over.  It isn't fun
> but it helps the next person and isn't that the whole point?

Building your kernel is a extremely ubiquitous and common topic. I don't
want to brag, but I have already done that when I was 15 or 16 when I
installed SUSE Linux 5.3 for the first time. Again, it's a handful of
commands.

> BTW I
> wrote the original Solaris Zone docs and OpenSolaris kernel build docs
> also and they were entirely step by step.  Better language.  However
> very hand holding. Don't expect anyone to look at your technology and
> play with it if you make it secret and special and impossible to play
> with.  Such is life.

Again, a) a lot documentation for building a kernel already exists, b)
we don't have the manpower to do any hand-holding. For professional
products like enterprise distributions, companies actually have dedicated
doc teams, at least SUSE does.

>> Building your own kernel isn't really difficult. It's mostly a matter of installing
>> the build dependencies for the kernel with "apt-get build-dep linux", then downloading
>> the source tarball of the kernel you want to use, unpacking it, copying the configuration
>> from /boot/ which you are currently using to $KERNEL_SRC_ROOT/.config, running "make oldconfig"
>> and applying any patches you want to test. Then just "make", "make modules", "make install"
>> and "make modules_install". There isn't anything more to it, really.
>
> Well let's see if that is really true.  I have yet to see it work.
> So there must be secret magic in there somewhere.

I suggest then that you post the particular error message you are seeing. That's
much easier for me than writing a 50-page documentation which spoon-feeds the
process.

>> Writing a document like this takes really a long time ...
>
> days.  Yep.   Coffee.   Curse.   re-coffee.  re-curse.

Without anyone reimbursing me for that. It's not that my time is free.

>> and as already said, this is
>> just something we can't do - at least I can't.
>
> Don't worry about it.  If there is interest .. then people will make the
> effort. I need to clean that up and re-write it and get the Debian way
> of things in there but it can be done.  By someone else.  Not you.
> Relax.

Again, the documentation already exists.

> My real interest is in RISC-V anyways.  Just wait until I climb on top
> of that.

The process of building a RISC-V kernel isn't any different from building a
PowerPC kernel.

>>> Would be nice if the "Debian way" were written up in a step by step fashion.
>>
>> I think there are better ways to spend so much time than writing documentation
>> that already exists.
>
> Maybe.  I have a really nice coffee machine.

Then feel free to write a super long and extensive document which spoonfeeds users
the process to build and install a Linux kernel from source to be run on a Apple
PowerMac G5 running Debian PowerPC unstable.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz