Re: Power Mac G5: Attempting to get 2D acceleration with nouveau and 6800 Ultra

On 2018-10-03 08:36:46 +0200 Gabriel Paubert <paubert@iram.es> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 02, 2018 at 03:06:17PM -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
>> Rick Thomas composed on 2016-05-02 15:49 (UTC-0700):
>
>>> So, in the interest of getting something that works without tinkering:
>
>>> Is there a hardware solution?  Is there a non-Nvidia graphics card I
>>> could purchase and install in my PowerMac-G5 11,2 that wouldn’t have the
>>> problem?   I don’t need anything fancy.  Just enough to run a simple 2D
>>> mate or xfce desktop.
>
>> Some Macs, G4s at least, came with AMD/ATI gfxcards. You ought to be able to
>> find one of those to try.
>
> Trouble is, if I remember correctly, all G4 were delivered with PCI or AGP,
> and all G5 with PCIe. It won't be exactly "Plug and Play", and for once it
> will be the plug¹ part that will be difficult :-)

Depending of the G5 model.
Powermac7,3 had PCI and AGP slots (those with processors up to 2 x 2.7 ghz).
Powermac11.2 (those with dual core processors up to "Quad 2.5 ghz" which is a 2 x 2.5 ghz dual core cpus) had PCIe slots.

But the AGP graphic cards from powermac G4 couldn't fit in the AGP slot of the powermacG5 (I tried it myself).

Bertrand