Re: Power Mac G5: Attempting to get 2D acceleration with nouveau and 6800 Ultra

Gabriel Paubert composed on 2018-10-03 09:47 (UTC+0200):

> On Wed, Oct 03, 2018 at 02:45:56AM -0400, Felix Miata wrote:

>> Gabriel Paubert composed on 2018-10-03 08:36 (UTC+0200):

>> > Trouble is, if I remember correctly, all G4 were delivered with PCI or AGP,
>> > and all G5 with PCIe. It won't be exactly "Plug and Play", and for once it
>> > will be the plug¹ part that will be difficult :-)

>> Was AMD making PCIe cards specially for only Apple, or do the same cards for PCs
>> work? Lots of Dells used AMD/ATI PCIe 8-12 years ago, so used should be
>> plentiful, aka cheap enough to try, under $20USD or so.

> Sorry, I was wrong, actually only the last generation G5 (the ones with
> the dual core chips, i.e., 970MP) had PCIe, all others had an AGP slot.

> However, as far as I know, Mac graphics cards always had different firmwares:
> Forth based OF instead of x86-only BIOS.

I wonder if Apple gave up being different in that regard on the switch to Intel
CPU and PCIe video bus. All the PowerPC Macs I had are now gone.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/