Re: Power Mac G5: Attempting to get 2D acceleration with nouveau and 6800 Ultra

On Tue, Oct 02, 2018 at 03:06:17PM -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
> Rick Thomas composed on 2016-05-02 15:49 (UTC-0700):
>
> > So, in the interest of getting something that works without tinkering:
>
> > Is there a hardware solution?  Is there a non-Nvidia graphics card I
> > could purchase and install in my PowerMac-G5 11,2 that wouldn’t have the
> > problem?   I don’t need anything fancy.  Just enough to run a simple 2D
> > mate or xfce desktop.
>
> Some Macs, G4s at least, came with AMD/ATI gfxcards. You ought to be able to
> find one of those to try.

Trouble is, if I remember correctly, all G4 were delivered with PCI or AGP,
and all G5 with PCIe. It won't be exactly "Plug and Play", and for once it
will be the plug¹ part that will be difficult :-)

	Gabriel

¹ At the time "Plug and Play" was introduced, the user experience was
more "Plug and Pray", but even the most vocal critics admitted that
"the plug part basically always works".