Re: Power Mac G5: Attempting to get 2D acceleration with nouveau and 6800 Ultra

On Wed, Oct 03, 2018 at 02:45:56AM -0400, Felix Miata wrote:
> Gabriel Paubert composed on 2018-10-03 08:36 (UTC+0200):
>
> >> Some Macs, G4s at least, came with AMD/ATI gfxcards. You ought to be able to
> >> find one of those to try.
>
> > Trouble is, if I remember correctly, all G4 were delivered with PCI or AGP,
> > and all G5 with PCIe. It won't be exactly "Plug and Play", and for once it
> > will be the plug¹ part that will be difficult :-)
>
> Was AMD making PCIe cards specially for only Apple, or do the same cards for PCs
> work? Lots of Dells used AMD/ATI PCIe 8-12 years ago, so used should be
> plentiful, aka cheap enough to try, under $20USD or so.

Sorry, I was wrong, actually only the last generation G5 (the ones with
the dual core chips, i.e., 970MP) had PCIe, all others had an AGP slot.

However, as far as I know, Mac graphics cards always had different firmwares:
Forth based OF instead of x86-only BIOS.

	Gabriel