Re: PowerMac G5 fans run out of control with kernel 4.17.0-3-powerpc64 but not with 4.16.0-1-powerpc64

On 09/24/2018 10:18 PM, Rick Thomas wrote:
On Sep 21, 2018, at 9:51 AM, Dennis Clarke <dclarke@blastwave.org> wrote:
On 09/03/2018 04:42 AM, Wolfram Sang wrote:
The bug is “status: NEEDINFO”, so I assume it’s not fixed yet.  In the meantime, manually loading the windfarm modules is a tested workaround.
Does this workaround work for you, too?
"However, there is a workaround: In addition to CONFIG_I2C_POWERMAC=y you
need to compile "Device Drivers → Macintosh device drivers → WINDFARM=y"
statically into the kernel. Then, the relevant WINDFARM_xx module gets
automatically loaded again."

Merely a follow up.

I have tested this and run the change :

    therm_windtunnel: drop using attach_adapter
git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/drivers/macintosh?id=3e7bed52719de4b5b5fb900869e293eae0bc3f3e

For weeks now with no issues.

I am switching to 4.18.9 now and the drivers/macintosh/therm_windtunnel.c file therein is still original.  I see no reason why
the change could not be pushed into the linux kernel proper.

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

This is good news.

Seems to work.

 If you can send me a way to download the .deb(s) for this kernel

I have never made those and never had a reason to. Sadly. Or maybe just sorry. I just download the kernel sources and do my own build and then install. There are no deb files anywhere.

I guess I could figure out how to do that but it may be days of work.
A tarball may work but then again ... who knows.

Guess I have to look at the "Debian way" to figure out the deb file
issues.

I’ll be happy to test it on my PowerMac7,3 G5 dual processor machine.

I have done that here for a month at least. On a G5 dual socket dual
core.

Thanks very much for all your work!

Feels like there is another step yet. The deb files.

Dennis