Re: PowerMac G5 fans run out of control with kernel 4.17.0-3-powerpc64 but not with 4.16.0-1-powerpc64

On Oct 3, 2018, at 12:19 AM, Dennis Clarke <dclarke@blastwave.org> wrote:

>> I gather you have the 4-core version.
>
> Looks like just dual core. I don't think the IBM 970ppc was ever quad core.

Sorry… I said “core” when I should have said “processor”.  You have four processors, divided over two sockets of two cores (processors) in each socket.

Here’s what I have:

rbthomas@bigal:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor	: 0
cpu		: PPC970MP, altivec supported
clock		: 2000.000000MHz
revision	: 1.0 (pvr 0044 0100)

processor	: 1
cpu		: PPC970MP, altivec supported
clock		: 2000.000000MHz
revision	: 1.0 (pvr 0044 0100)

timebase	: 33333333
platform	: PowerMac
model		: PowerMac11,2
machine		: PowerMac11,2
motherboard	: PowerMac11,2 MacRISC4 Power Macintosh
detected as	: 337 (PowerMac G5 Dual Core)
pmac flags	: 00000000
L2 cache	: 1024K unified
pmac-generation	: NewWorld

rbthomas@bigal:~$ head /proc/meminfo
MemTotal:        7157888 kB
MemFree:           36480 kB
MemAvailable:    6817088 kB
Buffers:         2563264 kB
Cached:          1251072 kB
SwapCached:            0 kB
Active:          3198592 kB
Inactive:         763776 kB
Active(anon):     156416 kB
Inactive(anon):     4288 kB

rbthomas@bigal:~$ cat /proc/version
Linux version 4.18.0-1-powerpc64 (debian-kernel@lists.debian.org) (gcc version 7.3.0 (Debian 7.3.0-29)) #1 SMP Debian 4.18.6-1 (2018-09-06)
rbthomas@bigal:~$

The other one is turned off right now, I’ll get the info for it tomorrow (my brother-in-law is sleeping in the room where it’s located at the moment).

Enjoy!
Rick