Re: PowerMac G5 fans run out of control with kernel 4.17.0-3-powerpc64 but not with 4.16.0-1-powerpc64

On 10/03/2018 02:35 AM, Rick Thomas wrote:

Thanks for the reply, Dennis!

On Oct 2, 2018, at 7:21 PM, Dennis Clarke <dclarke@blastwave.org> wrote:
On 09/24/2018 10:18 PM, Rick Thomas wrote:
On Sep 21, 2018, at 9:51 AM, Dennis Clarke <dclarke@blastwave.org> wrote:
On 09/03/2018 04:42 AM, Wolfram Sang wrote:
<snip>

Merely a follow up.

I have tested this and run the change :

    therm_windtunnel: drop using attach_adapter
git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/drivers/macintosh?id=3e7bed52719de4b5b5fb900869e293eae0bc3f3e

For weeks now with no issues.

<snip>

I have never made those and never had a reason to. Sadly. Or maybe just sorry. I just download the kernel sources and do my own build and then install. There are no deb files anywhere.

I tried following the instructions at
     https://kernel-team.pages.debian.net/kernel-handbook/ch-common-tasks.html#s-common-official
but the build process errored out before it managed to build a kernel.  Would you be willing to coach me through the process?  I’ll start with re-trying what I did and send you the logs with the error messages.  If you can spare the time to look at the logs and suggest what I’m doing wrong, I’d be very grateful!

I'll have a look there myself.  See if I can make heads or tails out of
it.

I guess I could figure out how to do that but it may be days of work.
A tar ball may work but then again ... who knows.

Guess I have to look at the "Debian way" to figure out the deb file
issues.

Maybe by working together we can figure it out between us…

Almost always works well for me.

I’ll be happy to test it on my PowerMac7,3 G5 dual processor machine.

I have done that here for a month at least. On a G5 dual socket dual
core.

I think there are actually four different models of the PowerMac G5s.

running here :

nix ppc64$
nix ppc64$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
cpu             : PPC970MP, altivec supported
clock           : 2500.000000MHz
revision        : 1.1 (pvr 0044 0101)

processor       : 1
cpu             : PPC970MP, altivec supported
clock           : 2500.000000MHz
revision        : 1.1 (pvr 0044 0101)

processor       : 2
cpu             : PPC970MP, altivec supported
clock           : 2500.000000MHz
revision        : 1.1 (pvr 0044 0101)

processor       : 3
cpu             : PPC970MP, altivec supported
clock           : 2500.000000MHz
revision        : 1.1 (pvr 0044 0101)

timebase        : 33333333
platform        : PowerMac
model           : PowerMac11,2
machine         : PowerMac11,2
motherboard     : PowerMac11,2 MacRISC4 Power Macintosh
detected as     : 337 (PowerMac G5 Dual Core)
pmac flags      : 00000000
L2 cache        : 1024K unified
pmac-generation : NewWorld
nix ppc64$
nix ppc64$ head /proc/meminfo
MemTotal:        6029316 kB
MemFree:          108284 kB
MemAvailable:    5863292 kB
Buffers:          202516 kB
Cached:          5296952 kB
SwapCached:            0 kB
Active:           949568 kB
Inactive:        4578576 kB
Active(anon):      28856 kB
Inactive(anon):    16548 kB
nix ppc64$
nix ppc64$ cat /proc/version
Linux version 4.18.9-genunix (root@nix) (gcc version 8.1.0 (genunix Sat May 12 22:02:47 UTC 2018)) #1 SMP Thu Sep 20 22:10:38 GMT 2018

I gather you have the 4-core version.

Looks like just dual core. I don't think the IBM 970ppc was ever quad core.

I have access to each of the two different 2-core versions.

OKay so we have lots of that.

 Is there somebody out there with a single-core machine ...

I have that also.  Just have not powered it up in a while.

Feels like there is another step yet. The deb files.

There’s *always* more work to do.  That’s a given!  (-;

One issue that I may have caused is that I generally build and test my
own tool path and thus I have separate readelf, gcc, autoconf and all the jazz that goes with it. I use those tools to build the kernels and have done so over and over for years. To be a "pure" Debian way then I would need to move all that stuff aside. Maybe.

I'll think on that.

I have 4.18.11 cooking right now and will follow up .. soonish.

Dennis