Re: New discussion: ppc64 installer -- ext2 /boot partition to keep sabot happy.

On 09/30/2017 08:11 AM, Rick Thomas wrote:
> It’s comforting that “remove yaboot” only means remove it from unstable.  I did not
> understand that point.  Thanks for explaining.

Ok, good.

> I’ll be glad to test anything you can produce on my G4 desk side machines (a couple of
> models you did not list as being in your own stable) as well as the PowerMac G5 7,3 I’ve
> been testing on up til now.

I will provide the images later today or tomorrow. I have to wait for the mirrors to sync.

> Please explain one more time — I’m sorry I haven’t understood the details yet — the
> filesystem partitioning requirements for booting a PowerPC machine with Grub.  I’m still
> not clear as to how those requirements conflict with the requirements for Yaboot.  Sorry
> for being so obtuse!

GRUB requires an OFFS partition to be mounted to /boot. Yaboot requires to be mounted to
/boot using ext2 or a crippled version of ext4 mounted to /. Both Yaboot requirements
are incompatible with GRUB.

This is all just about the default partitioning during install and providing Yaboot as
an option during install. I want the default partitioning to be tailored to GRUB
as the bootloader and I want to get rid of any workarounds and quirks necessary
for Yaboot.

If someone really feels the need for using Yaboot, they can still install it after
installing with debian-installer if they feel nostalgic. Although I still don't
see a point with using Yaboot when it's no longer maintained, neither in Debian
nor upstream. And I don't want to wait to the point until something breaks.

Being able to throw out Yaboot also means less maintenance burden to the maintainers,
keeping the software is not free as you could see with the necessary workaround
for ext4.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz