Re: New discussion: ppc64 installer -- ext2 /boot partition to keep sabot happy.

On 09/26/2017 10:34 PM, Rick Thomas wrote:
> Hmmm…  Are you sure it’s trying to read /etc/yaboot.conf (i.e. from the root partition)?

Yes, that's directly part of the error message. It tries to read

"-3/etc/yaboot.conf" and then prints the corrupted filesystem error.

I had to take a screenshot of QEMU-KVM in virt-manager because I couldn't
get Yaboot to work on the text console.

See: https://people.debian.org/~glaubitz/yaboot-error.png

> My experience on the PowerMac G5 is different. When I manually create an ext2
> /boot partition what I see is this: The /boot directory does not contain a copy
> of yaboot.conf.  Changing /etc/yaboot.conf (e.g. to change the UUID of the root
> filesystem) but not running ybin (so the version of yaboot.conf in the bootloader
> HFS partition is not updated) does not have any effect on the boot process.  In
> order to see any effect, I have to run ybin, which updates the copy of yaboot.conf
> in the HFS bootloader partition.

But how is this different than for my case? You manually did the setup here. I just
let yaboot-installer do the job and assumed it work work as you suggested, but that's
not the case. Just using the additional /boot partition alone is not enough, you
also need to place yaboot.conf in the proper place. So, it's not a simple change
but would also involve patching yaboot-installer.

Or am I missing something? YOu did not automatically let yaboot-installer install
Yaboot and it would work, no?

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz