Re: New ppc64 installer image available -- installation test report

On 09/26/2017 07:45 AM, Rick Thomas wrote:
> When it got to partitioning I chose (as last time) “guided — use whole disk”.
> It produced a partitioning that had a 1MB HFS partition marked as bootable, but no ext2 partition for /boot.
> Based on Frank’s experience that yaboot couldn’t handle ext4, I believe the ext2 /boot is necessary.
> In any case, I manually created one.

That's really odd. I made it use the partitioning recipes for powerpc and it should
have matched to this recipe [1] on your machine which clearly contains an ext2
partition for /boot.

> One other oddity I noticed was that the HFS partition was not labeled “bootstrap” as it has always been in the past.
> The name does not appear to be necessary, but loosing it would be a break from tradition.

What do you mean with "in the past"? Which installation image?

Please note that our reference is the powerpc NETINST installation ISO.

> It wrote yaboot to the HFS partition OK and rebooted.
> This time it did *not* have any problem finding the root partition, so the boot went without mishap.

Ok, good.

> As an experiment, I did try booting from the CD and entering “rescue” at the boot prompt.
> It booted fine, but (as before) it came up in “install” mode, not “rescue”.

Please ignore this for now and let's only focus on the proper partitioning.

> If you think it would be helpful, I can do it again but leave the partitioning alone —
> not create an ext2 /boot partition.  This would verify (or falsify) Frank’s observation
> that yaboot requires ext2.

Yes, can you please test this? Apparently, the /boot partition is not always required,
see the reference to [2] below.

> Interestingly, I have a G4 (32-bit) Mac that lacks a separate /boot partition and uses
> ext4 for its root partition.  It boots fine using yaboot version 1.3.16-4.
> The G5 I’m doing tests on is using yaboot version 1.3.17-4.

When was that machine installed?

In this context, I just found this commit [2] which added the /boot partition. Note the
additional "$defaultignore{}" designation which apparently means the partition is not
created in all cases.

> One other thought:  A single MB for the HFS partition may be too small if we want to
> support both grub and yaboot at the same time.  How about 2MB (or even 10? — disk
> space is cheap).

Again, please write that down and let's resolve that later. It's very easy to change
the partition sizes and we can do that. However, it's more important to get the
basic partitioning fixed first.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz