Re: New discussion: ppc64 installer -- ext2 /boot partition to keep sabot happy.

On 09/26/2017 11:53 AM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
But I'm not sure why we should invest time into improving Yaboot. I didn't
even work on my POWER7 system. So, while we would make Yaboot work on
PowerMac G5 computers, it would still be broken on POWER4/5/6/7. Plus,
Yaboot is unmaintained both in Debian and upstream.

After digging some a bit more into debian-installer, I noticed today that
the powerpc installation image actually supports three types of bootloaders
for installation: Yaboot, GRUB, PREP with the priority for being installed
in that order.

Thus, any powerpc system can actually be also installed with these
bootloaders when skipping the automatic installation of Yaboot. So,
I will next add ppc64 support to grub-installer and prep-installer.

I'm still a bit undecided about the ext4 issue with Yaboot. I actually
would tend to always use the ext2 /boot partitions for all installations
and revert the work-around used for partman-ext3.

Opinions?

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz