Re: Adding more ppc64 buildds from the POWER cloud

On Mon, Apr 4, 2016 at 11:51 PM, Lennart Sorensen
<lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 04, 2016 at 05:39:48PM -0300, Breno Leitao wrote:
>> Ok, since we will not even have VMX, I understand that we might not need a
>> POWER8, i.e, we can pursue initially with a POWER7. Does it make sense?
>>
>> Other than that, I will create a entry for you on one machine. But I am
>> wondering if we should go with powerpc arhc other than ppc64, since I am not
>> sure how stable is ppc64 right now. What is your recommendation?
>>
>> Also, feel free to send me your SSH pub key, so I can put on the VM.
>
> I am trying to think of any benefit 64bit powerpc has over 32bit other
> than the memory space for the process and I don't know if there is any.
> After all the architecture was designed from the begining with both 32
> and 64 bit in mind and hence I suspect they were meant to be as similar
> as possible in terms of register count and such.  So I suspect you gain
> an increase the the process size along with the doubling of pointer size
> which is usually considered a disadvantage of course (although how much
> that matters depends on the application of course).

I was recently told by aurel32@d.o that ppc32 kernels do not run on a
ppc64 CPU. So if one wants to run a Debian kernel [1], we are pretty
much required to be running a ppc64 kernel.
This is the current situation with partch.d.o.

[1] https://www.debian.org/releases/jessie/powerpc/ch02s01.html.en#idp50581248