Re: Installing nouveau hints?

On Fre, 2010-10-08 at 17:08 -0700, Gnu Turd wrote:
> I installed squeeze on a PowerBook G4 and was unhappy with the
> performance of the nv driver trying to use Blender & for graphics in
> general.
>
> 0000:00:10.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV34M
> [GeForce FX Go5200] (rev a1)
>
> I tried setting up a xorg.conf and using nouveau, but couldn't get to
> X.  So I "upgraded" to sid/development, but it is still using the
> 2.6.32.5 kernel.  I gather that nouveau has been added to the kernel
> of 2.6.33 and up.

FWIW, a lot of DRM changes from newer kernels are backported to the
sid/squeeze 2.6.32.y kernels, don't know offhand if that includes
nouveau though.

> So I thought I'd try setting the machine up as a mixed system.  I added
> the sid repositories to my sources.list and made unstable the default
> release in a /etc/apt/apt.conf.  I attempted to install
> linux-headers-2.6.33-2-powerpc, which I gathered might support nouveau
> better, but got unmet dependency errors.  It there a way to force
> apt-get to install a kernel on the experimental repository?

Yes, but as the package above is only available in experimental, there
shouldn't be anything to force really... If you post the actual
dependency errors, we might be able to help solve them.