Re: Installing nouveau hints?

Hi,

Gnu Turd wrote:
I installed squeeze on a PowerBook G4 and was unhappy with the
performance of the nv driver trying to use Blender & for graphics in
general.

0000:00:10.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV34M
[GeForce FX Go5200] (rev a1)

I tried setting up a xorg.conf and using nouveau, but couldn't get to
X.  So I "upgraded" to sid/development, but it is still using the
2.6.32.5 kernel.  I gather that nouveau has been added to the kernel
of 2.6.33 and up.  So I thought I'd try setting the machine up as a
mixed system.  I added the sid repositories to my sources.list and
made unstable the default release in a /etc/apt/apt.conf.  I attempted
to install linux-headers-2.6.33-2-powerpc, which I gathered might
support nouveau better, but got unmet dependency errors.  It there a
way to force apt-get to install a kernel on the experimental
repository?

I don't know for RV34, but for RV42 (the card in the PowerMac Quad G5), and for the Nvidia cards of my AMD-64 at work, the Nouveau drivers are the default drivers (that is, what is automatically configured with xorg, with the official kernel of squeeze, so far). Nonetheless, for PPC, Nouveau (at least in 2.6.32-squeeze) is not usable: this is probably an issue with endianness because the screen mostly knows 3 colors with the nouveau drivers: black, dark grey and white, and when X11 thinks it displays colors its mostly unuseable.

That's my experience so far, so I stick with the "nv" drivers.

Stéphane