Re: Where is libxfconf-0?

Shawn H Corey wrote:
On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 22:03:56 +0000
Clive Menzies <clive@clivemenzies.co.uk> wrote:

Beware, thar be dragons :-)

That you're asking these questions suggests it is a bit early for you
to consider upgrading to sid (he's the one in Toy Story who breaks
toys in spectacular fashion) aka unstable.

I guess you're running lenny/stable and I've just checked the
apt-cache one of our ppc servers here and yes, it's not available in
Lenny.

You may not need to upgrade the whole system to sid but you may be
able to upgrade that package alone or more probably, xfce.

I finally found time to try your suggestion (which means I finally
found time to backup my data and not create anything new for a while)
but now it wants another library not listed in lenny.  I may have to go
with sid, or perhaps Xubuntu still it's built on sid but is a little
more stable.

Hi Shawn

Depending on how many other packages you need to grab from sid, it may still be possible to avoid a full upgrade to sid.  If you find your way around aptitude, it's fairly low risk.  If you are thinking of using sid, an understanding of aptitude interactively makes it easier to avoid breaking your system.  Xubuntu is probably offers a lower pain threshold :-)

Having run sid for a few years, I reverted to Lenny for a while to cut down the time I spent playing with my system which while educational, cut into my productivity.  I've recently started using sidux which is a pretty good compromise offering the latest and greatest of sid without so much maintenance.  Unfortunately it's not available on powerpc.

Regards

Clive

Regards

Clive