Re: PowerPC 8500??

On Wed, 2009-09-09 at 05:52 -0400, Frank Rubinsky wrote:
> On Sep 9, 2009, at 2:09 AM, Brad Boyer wrote:
>
> > I went and looked on the Apple support downloads web site (which is
> > at http://support.apple.com/downloads/) and saw a link to "Older
> > Software Downloads" (http://support.apple.com/kb/TA48312?
> > viewlocale=en_US)
> > which appears to have page after page of old stuff, including System 6
> > and most of the versions of System 7 (looks like all but 7.6).
>

> Good catch - I missed that page, but I just looked closely at it, and
> didn't see any base OS downloads.  Everything seems to be a point
> release update/upgrade - which requires the major release - which
> isn't on that site.   It looks like this page has everything Apple
> released for free but nothing (OS at least) that was sold (or
> included with new machines).

One option with those old machines is booting from OF. It's tricky,
requires a network with a BOOTP server and a lot of praying but ...

I have an old dual 604 SMP 8500 on my desk taking the dust :-) I've been
working on reviving it recently. There's various issues with recent
kernels in trying to boot them from OF, in large part due to bugs in
those old Apple OF.

If you don't find a solution involving MacOS or miboot, I'd suggest you
ping me every now and then to see whether I got a chance to sort out
some of those issues and get it back into a shape where it can be
netbooted with a debian install ramdisk entirely from OF.

Cheers,
Ben.