Re: installing debian on an: Apple PowerBook G4 550 (Gigabit - Ti)

On Sep 03 2009, sergio sevillano wrote:
> i have xorg installed
>
> apt-get xorg-video-raedon   or
> apt-get xerver-xorg-video-raedon
> gives me a:  cant find package answer

(Check the spelling above. You are typing things incorrectly).

If you have xorg, then you probably already have the necessary drivers.

It would be helpful if you sent the output of /var/log/Xorg.0.log to the
list (perhaps put it at http://paste.debian.net/ and send the resulting
URL here).

Anyway, if you are not experienced with the command line, you may want
to use aptitude instead of apt-get. Just install it (if it is not
already) and type:

aptitude

without any parameters.

> i have /etc/X11/xorg.conf  empty.
> someone said to copy it from
> http://theapt.org/openbsd/xorg.conf
>
> how is this done without typing everything?

cd /etc/X11 && wget <URL>

But I guess that, given your background, you may not be able to fix your
problems if you start with a given configuration.

Just post the details of your machine (hint: use lshw) and post it here
and other people may be able to send you a file that work for them.

Or just Google a little bit. There were (are?) many people running
Debian on TiBooks.

> cp [source] /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>
> what is the source path [source] for a  pendrive?

That depends on what you are using. If you already have some programs
installed, the pendrive may be already mounted.

mount and dmesg are your friends.

Perhaps you should try to see if anybody in debian-user can help you
with non-powerpc specific parts (like, say, invoking apt-get correctly
or seeing how to grab something from the web).

Regards, Rogério Brito.