Re: installing debian on an: Apple PowerBook G4 550 (Gigabit - Ti)

Hi,

2009/9/1 sergio sevillano <sergiosevillano.mail@gmail.com>:

>> sergio sevillano wrote:
>>>
>>> i have tried many live cd distros un-successfuly
>>>
>>> i gess im having trouble with the graphic card:
>>> (ATI Mobility Radeon (4X AGP) graphics with 16 MB of DDR SDRAM;  screen
>>> size is 1152x768 )
>>> so all previous installations where ok but after final reboot
>>> i could not visualize the desktop.
>>>
>>> finally i have installed debian502 but with no desktop.
>>> plain console that looks ok to me.
>>>
>>> can someone give me a hint of what should be next step?
>>>
>>> i gess is finding a driver for the card,
>>> then installing KDE?
>>>
>>> thanks
>>> sergio
>>>

> Peter Rooney escribió:
>>
>> sergio,
>>
>> you minght not have installed any Xserver or desktop environment packages
>> - you can try running
>>  apt-get install kde
>> which installs everything needed.  can you post the contents of file
>>  /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>> please?
>>
>> peter
>
> i have finally installed xorg with "apt-get install xorg"
> and then kde "apt-get install kde"
>
> seems to install it ok
>
> then i have run "startx" and ... blank page
>
> now i can not get back to the console
> i have shut down the machine
> but now allways starts directly to the blank page after yaboot

You can test the the graphics with the X (capital X) command to get
back to the console type Ctrl+Alt+Backspace.

> sorry now i dont know how to take a look at
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf

in the console you could run

$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf

But I think it would result blank. The ugly way to solve this is to
find a LiveCD to copy a working /etc/X11/xorg.conf from or if someone
on the list has a working /etc/X11/xorg.conf for your machine.

An old ubuntu live cd should work