Re: Switching from Ubuntu

On Sep 02 2009, Shawn H. Corey wrote:
> The worst problem seems to be that most of the graphics API was
> unloaded from the GPU.

When did this happen? During a stable release? I would think not, but,
then, I wouldn't make any assurances. :-)

I would bet that the opposite would be "the current way" that things are
going (not that I have powerful hardware---I'm still quite happy with
some 8 or 9 y.o. cards).

Anyway, Ubuntu are probably not changing things that much. The upstream
developers at Xorg probably make some major changes and those changes
are usually carried over to the distributions.

> I think I shall try a more recent version of Ubuntu.  And if that
> fails, perhaps I'll just rewrite the API ;)

Just grab a newer live CD of, say, karmic and see the results.

Regards, Rogério Brito.