Re: G3 Beige Tower install help

On 2008-09-10, risto.suominen@gmail.com <risto.suominen@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/9/10, Stephen Allen <sda2@sdf.lonestar.org>:

[ ...]

>> Is your card different from stock ?

Hi Risto, please excuse the delay in responding.

> This is of interest for me, too... it reminds me...
>
> My G3 is a desktop model (233 MHz, rev B) with integrated video: Rage
> II something, with 6 MB of RAM. Do the towers really have a separate
> PCI card?

No, I was mistaken, it is indeed onboard. The video ram could be
upgraded from, (If memory serves) the stock 2 Mb to 8 Mb. I added a
3rd party card, with dual head capability. Back in the day that was an expensive
video card !

> I installed Ubuntu 6.06.1, obviously in 2006, and it worked fine...
> until I put in a PCI card (USB 2.0). That caused xorg to fail. It
> complained about INVALID I/O ALLOCATION, but I'm not sure whether it
> is relevant to the problem. It seemed to try to allocate memory
> already used by the USB PCI card. I wonder if that bug has been
> fixed...

Hm. I'm going to pull the Belkin USB 1.0 card I have in another G3
pizza box, and put in this one. I guess we'll see if Xorg handles it
OK. I'll let you know how it goes.

> Another problem with this machine model is the text frame buffer mode
> not being usable because of vertical lines where the text 'lives'.

Hm I didn't have this problem either.

> Stephen, what version of xorg are you using? Do you have other PCI
> cards installed than the video cards?

1:7.1.0-19

> Actually all this is a bit aside from the original subject, maybe
> worth a thread of its own though...

Aw go for it, install Xorg. 8-D