Re: G3 Beige Tower install help

On Sun, Sep 07, 2008 at 12:04:09AM +0300, risto.suominen@gmail.com wrote:
> 2008/9/6, James Kozak <kozak.james@gmail.com>:
> > hi
> > reading this email again makes me wonder if this step has been omitted:
> >
> > Insert the  PPC install disk and navigate to the /install/powerpc folder.
> > Copy vmlinux (the linux kernel) to "System Folder/Linux Kernels". Copy
> > initrd.gz (the init ramdisk image) to "System Folder" and rename it to
> > ramdisk.image.gz
> > ?
> >
> > James
> >

> I don't think that the name, or even the location, of the initrd would
> matter, as long as BootX is told where it is. As a general rule: the
> shorter the name, the better. I have always been using initrd.gz as it
> is.
---end quoted text---

Risto;

I used your posted SxS, placed vmlinux & initrd in the top level of the MacOS system folder, and it booted.

The install is where I had the issue(s), of going through the steps and hanging when it came to installing
the quik bootloader. I don't understand why it's install quick as I thought that BootX would be used.

I went through several iterations of disk partioning schemes without any successful install. One message I
got several times was that Quik has to be on the first partition. The MacOS has a small partition at the
first that doesn't delete for me, so I'm kind of stuck there.

In terms of the disk partioning. Is the MacOS partition supposed to be overwritten and that's why the
installer wants to install Quik ? I can't seem to find an option to toggle Quik off.

--
Regards,
S.D.Allen - Toronto