Re: G3 Beige Tower install help

On Sun, Sep 07, 2008 at 10:42:36AM +0300, risto.suominen@gmail.com wrote:
> 2008/9/7, Stephen Allen <sda2@sdf.lonestar.org>:
> >
> > The install is where I had the issue(s), of going through the steps and
> > hanging when it came to installing
> > the quik bootloader. I don't understand why it's install quick as I thought
> > that BootX would be used.
> >
> You should try to skip the quik installation. The advantage of using
> BootX is that if you use quik and it fails to boot you have no backup,
> with BootX you can always get into OS 9. You don't need - and cannot
> have - both: the OldWorld ROM always selects the first bootable
> partition. Or - in theory - you could have quik in first partition and
> OS 9 in second and use quik to boot OS 9, but I don't see any point in
> it.

OK managed to skip the Quik installation. (I'll have to write up a SxS
mentioning how to do this)

> > I went through several iterations of disk partioning schemes without any
> > successful install. One message I
> > got several times was that Quik has to be on the first partition. The MacOS
> > has a small partition at the
> > first that doesn't delete for me, so I'm kind of stuck there.
> >
> You should keep the Mac OS partition. Get into another virtual
> terminal (Ctrl-Alt-F2), mount the Mac OS partition (the path is either
> /dev/hda... or /dev/bus/ide/disk.../part..., or similar):

OK kept the MacOS partition(s). There are 7 of em put there by the MacOS 9
disk utility (6 small ones).

I have one disk and it was labeled hdb when partioning. So that would be
'mount -t hfs (It's hfs)/dev/hdb7 (MacOS was installed on the 7th
partition).

There are a bunch of small Apple/MacOS partitions before this. But I assume
since you mentioned system folder that it's has to go on the larger MacOS
partition where the Mac system folder is; correct ?

> mount -t hfs /dev/... /mnt
>
> (or hfsplus), and copy the new initrd into it:
>
> cp -p /target/boot/initrd.gz '/mnt/System Folder'

There didn't appear to be an 'initrd.gz' but there was an 'initrd'. Same
thing right ? On /mnt I didn't have a directory 'System Folder', however
mount didn't through any complaints when mounting hdb7, so I assume that
was OK.

> At this point you should have the kernel package installed on target
partition.

Unfortunately it didn't boot. I'm getting close though. Any ideas ?

Thanks.

--
Regards,
S.D.Allen - Toronto