Re: xorg issues with lenny and PowerBook G4 [Revisited]

On Wed, 2008-08-27 at 23:44 -0700, Amit Uttamchandani wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 16:38:00 -0300
> Sebastien G <sebas-listes@koumbit.org> wrote:
>
> > Amit a écrit :
> > > Hey there,
> > >
> > > I was unsuccessful in installing Lenny a few months ago so I reverted
> > > back to Debian Etch. A few days ago I dist-upgraded to lenny.
> > > Everything works as expected except for xorg. No matter what I tried I
> > > could not get past a blank screen. I expect this is related to bug
> > > http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=429432
> > >
> > > I've tried everything from that is listed from the bug report but no
> > > luck. I even tried downloading the r128 driver from etch and compiling
> > > it from source but no luck.
> > >
> > > Some notes:
> > >
> > >  1. Using ATI Rage 128 M3.
> > >  2. Works perfectly fine in Etch.
> > >  3. I get as far as a blank screen but that is about it.
> > >  4. Everything else works fine in Lenny (power management, etc).
> > >
> > > I am having fun trying to accomplish my day to day tasks using the
> > > command line but I need the GUI to use inkscape and rdesktop.
> > >
> > > Any help is appreciated.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Amit
> > >

> > Hi Amit,
> >
> > You don't say which version of the powerbook G4 you've. With my pb 3,3,
> > I had a similar problem when i installed unstable and Ubuntu 8.04.  I've
> > made a bug report on ubuntu launchpad.
> > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-ati/+bug/220887
> >

> Thanks for the reply. I am sorry I couldn't get back to you sooner on
> this. Regarding the powerbook model, I have a Powerbook G4 500MHz
> Titanium I think. How do I find out the exact model (e.g pb 3,3 or pb
> 3,4) ?

grep machine /proc/cpuinfo

> > You'll find a workaround in the bug report. At the very least, you
> > should get X with driver=fbdev
>
> I tried using driver=fbdev and it works! Thanks for this tip. I
> checked out the bug report you posted and I browsed the git sources
> for xf86-video-ati and it looks like it fixes the issue for radeon
> based hardware. The GPU I'm using using the r128 driver. Also, r128
> has a separate repo and the fix does not look like it has been
> propagated to r128.

The fix referred to in the Ubuntu bug report above is specific to the
radeon driver and doesn't apply to the r128 driver.

Have you tried
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=429432#10 ?

> As I'm writing this email, I am trying to compile the latest radeon
> drivers from the git master branch to see if I can use driver=radeon
> on this system.

No, it's not a Radeon GPU...