Re: How to unlock a hfs partition?

On Dec 12, 2007 12:33 AM, Elimar Riesebieter <riesebie@lxtec.de> wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 the mental interface of
> Ennio-Sr told:
>
> > * Ruben Vandeginste <snowbender@gmail.com> <
> > > [2007-12-11]:
> > >  At Tue, 11 Dec 2007 00:07:56 +0100,
> > >  Ennio-Sr wrote:
> > > >

> > >  fsck.hfs is included in the "hfsprogs" package, but I don't have any
> > >  experience with it.
> > >
> > >  Ruben
> > >

> > hmm ... I only succeded in getting 'hfsutils' which does check hfs
> > directories, but doesn't unlock them!
> > I couldn't fine 'hfsprogs' (debian ppc) pckg.
>
> $ apt-cache search hfs | grep "^hfs"
> hfsplus - Tools to access HFS+ formatted volumes
> hfsprogs - mkfs and fsck for HFS and HFS+ file systems
> hfsutils - Tools for reading and writing Macintosh volumes
> hfsutils-tcltk - Tcl/Tk interfaces for reading and writing Macintosh volumes

If you are not having luck with (or cannot run) the Apple utilities, I
have SOMETIMES had some luck using a combination of hfsplus
http://packages.debian.org/source/hfsplus and the other, more lower
level utilities.

The syntax and usage of hfsplus is odd -- you don't mount the
filesystem onto the standard tree, and you mount, umount and check the
filesystem using hpmount, hpumount, and hpfsck commands.

If nothing else, hpmount MAY let you mount the volume and hpcopy may
copy the files, but I believe the functions are exposed only to the
command line interface and you cannot, for example, use that utility
to mount a volume in Konqueror or Gnome.