Re: getting wireless and dvi out (clone mode) to work on iBook G4 - help needed, plz

On Fri, 2007-11-23 at 03:04 +0100, Wolfgang Pfeiffer wrote:

> What I know is, that with xrandr 1.2 hotplugging a 2nd monitor to a
> 5.8 alubook doesn't do anything at all. Not out of the box, and not
> here on unstable Debian with packages from a few days ago and kernel
> 2.6.18 ...

The kernel doesn't matter for this. With xserver-xorg-video-ati 6.7.19x
(so far only available in experimental), external displays with a VGA
connector should work with all Radeon {Power,i}Books. Displays with a
DVI connector can be trickier; depending on the PowerBook model and
driver version, Option "MacModel" "powerbook" or "powerbook-duallink"
may help for those.

Note that hotplugging a monitor per se isn't expected to have any direct
effect; something like

xrandr --output DVI-0 --auto

is required explicitly in order to enable the external display.